So, I just made (and ate) this. It was so delicious I had to post immediately before I forgot how I made it.
- Potatoes – about 7 medium sized
- Olive Oil
- Onions – I used 2 medium sized
- Cauliflower – I used 1 whole head
- Bacon, Prosciutto or Ham (I used Prosciutto as it is the only nitrate-free thing I can find at the UK supermarket) – I used 2 packets of prosciutto
- Coconut Milk (the thick kind in the tetraPak box – usually found in the Asian foods isle – I use this for all my cooking – and in my morning coffee. It is super creamy.
- Eggs – I used 4
- dash of tabasco
- Salt – I didn’t use much salt because prosciutto is so salty
- Preheat oven to 180 deg Celsius
- Grease a suitable casserole dish with a generous amount of olive oil – I used a 9 X13 glass casserole dish
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes
- Spread the sliced potatoes in the casserole dish
- Peel and slice the onions
- Sautee onions (with a generous amount of olive oil) in a pan big enough to later hold the cauliflower as well
- When onions are soft and translucent/ slightly brown (in other words, when they are sautéed!) add the cauliflower about 2 cups of water
- Bring to a boil and then lower the temperature and cook until cauliflower is super soft (about 20 minutes)
- There should still be a cup or so of water left in the pan with the cauliflower. Add a bit of Coconut Milk (the super thick and creamy kind) to this and stir. I used about 1/4 Cup.
- In separate pan, cook bacon or prosciutto until crispy and then crumble/chop into small pieces (or just chop if using ham)
- Transfer cauliflower mixture to blender or food processor (I use a Vitamix)
- Blend until smooth
- Add eggs, nutmeg (I used about 1/4 teaspoon), about 1/4C olive oil, a bit of tabasco, and thyme (I used about 2 teaspoons)
- Blend again until well mixed (finished product should be the consistency of a thick cream sauce)
- Distribute crumbled/chopped ham, bacon or prosciutto on top of potatoes in casserole dish.
- Pour and spread cauliflower “sauce” on top of the bacon/ham/prosciutto and spread evenly.
- Bake in oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 1 hour
Enjoy and Happy Easter!!